main function of the Patent Department is to prepare and file
applications in order to protect inventions and designs, before
the Spanish Patent and Trademark Office (SPTO) – patents
of invention, utility models and industrial designs –,
the European Patent Office (EPO) – European patents – and
the Office for the Harmonization of the Internal Market (OHIM) –Community
Advise and guidance on:
Protection of inventions and designs
on a national scale
- Types of protection.
- Necessary requirements.
- Grant proceedings of Patents and Utility
Models, or any other type of protection, such as Industrial
Protection of inventions and designs abroad.
- Treaties and Conventions
- Periods, requirements and territorial scope
of protection of an Invention through applications for:
- European Patent (Munich Convention)
- International Patent (PCT- Patent Cooperation Treaty)
- Patents in the USA, Japan and all over the world
- Community Design
Handling and Monitoring of applications
On a nationwide scalel
- Drawing up the descriptive report, maps or necessary drawings
for the application filing according to the kind of protection
sought (Patent, Utility Model, Industrial Design or Topography
of semiconductor products).
- Monitoring formal proceedings until their grant (petition
for the Search Report, application for continuation of the
procedure, choosing either the Grant Procedure with petition
for Preliminary Examination or the General Grant Procedure)
- Writing claims to third parties or to the Search Report,
in order to defend the novelty and the inventiveness of the
On an International scale
The system of European Patents allows protection
in all the States under the European Patent Convention through
their designation in only one application before the European
Patent Office (EPO).
- Writing the description of the invention, the claims and
- Filing applications and designating the States in which protection
- Applications for the European Search Report.
- Preparing and filing responses to official actions and appeals
before different Boards of Appeal.
- Validations and translations in one of the official languages
of the designated States of the original text of the patent.
International Patent (PCT)
The Patent Cooperation Treaty allows protection
of an invention in each Contracting State through one application
in the first phase (International Phase) and continuing the procedure
in every selected State (National Phase).
- Drawing up the description of the invention, the claims and
- Filing applications in compliance with the Washington Patent
- Applications for the International Search and the International
- Monitoring the procedure in its National Phase in each designated
State (drawing up technical reports in response to Official
Patent in the USA, in Japan and in the
rest of the World
It is filed in the country of interest and it
is governed by the legislation thereof.
- We handle patent applications in the most prestigious offices
in USA and Japan, countries where we contact outstanding associate
- We process applications abroad through our net of co-workers
in almost all over world.
- Filing applications before the OHIM and monitoring
the whole procedure until the total grant of the registrations
of drawings and industrial models that extend their protection
to the territory of the European Union.